Have you ever tried making eggplant mash cooked with the flavourful tempering of cumin seeds, onions, garlic, and tomatoes? It is also called Baingan Bharta in Indian Languages. It is a recipe from North India.
Eggplants are roasted on fire to give that charred flavor to the dish. Ingredients are chopped roughly without thinking about finesse in the recipe. The endpoint is flavorful and spicy eggplant mash which can be eaten with Rotis ( Indian bread) or parathas.
Baingan bharta is a popular Indian dish that can be made in the comfort of your home. The key to making baingan bharta is to slowly roast the eggplants until they are cooked through and nicely charred. This will give the finished dish a smoky, flavourful taste.
What is eggplant bharta?
Bharta is a North Indian dish from Punjab made from eggplant that has been slowly roasted until it becomes soft and lightly charred. It is a delicious side dish, or main course served with rice or bread.
Let us make the eggplant mash or Baigan Bharta
– 3 eggplants (medium size)
– 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
– 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 2 medium onions, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, cut
– 2 green chilies (Optional)
– 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
– 1 teaspoon of coriander powder or garam masala
– 1/4 teaspoon of red chili powder ( optional)
– Salt to taste
– 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Wash the eggplants, wipe them, and make slits halfway through.
- Peel the garlic cloves and ginger.
- Cut tomatoes if using tomatoes.
- Wash green chilled if using.
1. Wash the eggplants and wipe them. Make longitudinal cuts that go to half of the eggplant but do not cut it in half. Make at least three cuts in each eggplant. Keep them aside.
2. Peel the garlic, wash it, and cut them lengthwise. If garlic segments are big, make two pieces from one garlic segment. Insert them in the slits you made in the eggplants. You can take more garlic of you are using small segments.
3. After inserting all the segments in the eggplants, Smear some oil on the eggplants.
4. Put the eggplant directly on the heat and start roasting it. Roast the eggplants on an open flame. Roast until they are entirely cooked and charred from both sides. It will take 10 to 20 minutes to roast them properly.
3. Once roasted, let it cool down, peel the skin off with a spoon, and put them in a bowl or plate. Mash the eggplants with the help of a fork and keep them aside.
Making the onion, garlic, and tomato base
1. Heat oil in a wok or pan, add cumin seeds, let them splutter for a few seconds, and then add chopped onions. Saute the onion until they are light brownish. It will take 8-10 minutes. Always cook onions on low, medium heat.
2. Add garlic and ginger and sauté it for 3-5 minutes. Add the spices like coriander powder, turmeric, or chili powder if you are adding. Mix well on low heat. Don’t cook the tempering longer with dry spices, or they will burn.
3. Add chopped tomatoes or use canned diced or crushed tomatoes after mixing the dry spices. I have used three generous tablespoons of diced canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes give a perfect color to that dish. Cook until the tomatoes are cooked and mushy.
4. Add the mashed eggplant to this tempering and mix it well for about two minutes on low heat.
5. Finally, add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Serve baingan bharta hot with chapati or plain paratha.
Is eggplant bharta healthy?
Yes, baingan bharta is a healthy dish. Eggplants are low in calories and dietary fiber, making them a great addition to your diet. They also provide iron, magnesium, potassium, and other essential vitamins and minerals. The spices added to baingan bharta contain antioxidants that can help boost immunity.
What is the English name of baingan bharta?
The English name of bhaingan bhartha is Eggplant Bharta.
Can baingan bharta be stored?
Baingan bharta can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat, place it in a pan over medium heat until heated. Enjoy!
You can also roast Bengal gram dal or boiled potatoes to baingan bharta for a different texture.
- If you want more tang, add lemon juice before serving baingan bharta.
- Adding vegetables like peas, capsicum, or potatoes to baingan bharta makes it more nutritious.
- Add salt to the baingan bharta only after adding the baingan bharta and not before that.
- Don’t forget to add chopped coriander leaves, which have a lovely fragrance and flavor to baingan bharta.
What spices are in eggplant or Baingan bharta?
The spices used for this eggplant mash are cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. You can also add garam masala or other whole spices if desired.
What is the best way to serve baingan bharta?
Baingan bharta is best served with chapati or plain paratha. You can also serve baingan bharta as a side dish with rice and dal.
Baingan Bharta (Eggplant Mash made with spices)
- 3 medium Eggplants (Baingan)
- 2 medium Onions or 1 big onion
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into half
- 2 Tomatoes or 3 tbs canned diced tomatoes
- 2 Small green chilies ( Optional )
- 1 tps Cumin seeds
- 1 tps Turmeric
- 1/4 tps Red chili powder ( Optional)
- 1 tps Corriander powder
- 2 tbs Fresh cut corriander
- Salt to taste
What is neutral oil in cooking?
Amazing avocado green goddess quinoa bowl recipe
Can I use avocado oil for cooking?